Entry 360 posted in: 6. Self-Made Monsters
It was the time of year when the evenings were cold and dark and SDSL routers gave up transmitting bits and bytes per kilobit and kilobyte.
It was also the time of year to call the helpdesk that gets loads of money for a guaranteed 24/24 7/7 technical service.
- Belgastar helpdesk, Jeroen speaking, how can I be of service to you?
- Jeroen, My SDSL router broke down.
- Indeed sir, I can see that.
- Thanks for monitoring my line. Now send me a repair team right a way.
- Sir, it is Friday night 10 pm.
- Yes and?
- Our people stop at 5.
- I can understand that. Send them tomorrow morning at 8 then.
- Tomorrow is Saturday.
- I am aware of the days of the week, but thanks for reminding. And?
- Our repair people don't work on weekends.
- Listen Jeroen; I think you don't understand the situation completely. I am not a horny ADSL light user who can't get his weekly porn chat. In two hours of time hundreds of EDI messages have to pass through that line, weekend or not. In two hours of time ftp servers are going to connect from all over the world. In two hours of time Citrix and VPN connections will start transferring megabytes of data that is necessary for the future existence of the company I work for. So get me the professional users techdesk.
- I am the professional techdesk.
- I thought you were the home users helpdesk? At weekends I am the home users helpdesk as well, sir, but not now as it closes at 10 pm.
- So when can you send me a repair team for my router then?
- Monday morning sir.
- At what time?
- Depends sir. They may have some others jobs to do.
- One last question then. Why do I pay over 500 euro per month for a SDSL router with guaranteed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, technical assistance if you do nothing more than for a 20 Euro per month ADSL line?
- The extra is, sir, that we answer your phone calls 7 days a week, night and day. Have a good evening, sir.
If you liked this post - you might be interested in this one as well: Tourette's Planet (18+)